Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Deering's Bacon

I got myself a three-pound slab of old man Deering's salt-cured and smoked bacon while we were up at the patriarch's house.



Deering's Market has been a landmark in Empire, Michigan for as long as I can remember.
A real old-school place, he still keeps a ledger at the register for credit purchases. (Locals only)
He cures his own bacon in his own smokehouse, and sells it in the deli section, sliced or in whole slabs.

I picked up a 2-pound slab almost as soon as I hit town.
Last time I was up there, I waited until the day I was leaving to pick up a couple pounds to take home with me. When I showed up at the store, I found out he had just sold out for the day.
I was crushed.
This time I was not going to miss out on my bacon, so I bought some right away and threw it in the fridge.

Then my brother-in-law showed up at the patriarch's house. I came wandering down the stairs the next morning to the sweet, sweet smell of frying bacon.
My brother-in-law called out cheerily from the kitchen, "Hey, MSgt B! Want some breakfast? How about some of this bacon!"

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

"Yeah, sure, buddy. Set me up...extra bacon." "Where's the coffee?"



So I went back to Deering's that day, bought a 3-pound slab, and threw it in the (covered) bed of the truck to freeze.
I left the other slab in the patriarch's fridge for whoever might want it. It was gone before we left town.


Those two slices to the side are what we call "Chef's Prerogative"

This morning I'm slicing some into chunks and throwing it into the crock pot with some beans for tonight's dinner.




This stuff is the kind of bacon that sends you on a pilgrimage five years later to go buy some more.
Best fucking homemade bacon I've ever had.
Hands-down.
No-contest.



If you ever find yourself about 20 miles north of bumfucked nowhere, stop into Deering's Market in Empire, Michigan and grab a slab of that bacon.


Hungry yet?

6 comments:

agirlandhergun said...

Yumm! There is a place like that in Bishop, Ca....so good. They make killer beef jerky too.

Stephen said...

Now that is what I call ART. Beautiful.

Dan said...

Ooh man, that looks good. I have a dream of making a "man's BLT" that involves 2" 'slices' of bacon one of these days.

Coffeypot said...

I am now! Heading for the kitchen.

Old NFO said...

Damn, now I'm drooling...

MSgt B said...

The bacon and beans turned out fantastic after 8 hours in the crock pot.

I should have added a bit of chopped onion, but I was afraid the wimmen would notice.