Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day 2013

My son, A1C B., needs some venison recipes for all those deer he's harvesting.

I know all you gun and bible clingers have got to have some good recipes for venison.

Send them to me.

--------------------------------------------
Some pics that go well with a hangover.

Just before Christmas, I found myself wandering around on the edge of town, out on Route 3 west.
You know the place. It's where the strip malls and shopping centers start to wind down, and what's left of the small country neighborhoods show through the gaps.

Whether we are expanding or contracting, change is always a little sad.
Something goes away, something new comes along.

--------------------------------------------







9 comments:

Jess said...

Happy New Year.

I don't have any venison recipes, although I once knew someone that could make a venison chicken fried steak that was as good as any I've ever had. She was raised by an outlaw father, that harvested pulp wood from lumber company land. She never had much, but could make the best out of what she had.

Old NFO said...

That IS the sad point of the 'outskirts'... And small towns on the backroads since the Interstates came through...

Anonymous said...

VENISON OR BEEF BRISKET RUB

1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon Morton Nature's Seasonings
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon brandy

The above is for about four pounds of meat. Double/triple as needed.

Mix all ingredients in a small jar or cup. Stir well and wait for five minutes or more before using -- it will turn into a paste in this time.

Rub the paste onto both sides of brisket. Cook covered at 185F to 200F for about 10 hours.

There are a couple of ways to cook that I have tried that turned out quite well.

Method #1: Wrap meat as tightly as possible in heavy duty aluminum foil using a butcher wrap and cook in crock pot on low setting for 10 hours. Remove from crock pot saving all juices and put the meat on the outdoor grill on high for about five minutes. Alternatively, place in a shallow baking pan and stick under oven broiler for a few minutes. This last step (grill/broiler) is just to improve the appearance; it does not affect the taste. Personally, I only do it when company is in for dinner and I want to present a "pretty" brisket.

Pour the juice from the crock pot into a pan and place on stove and bring to a slow boil. Mix a couple of tablespoons of corn starch in cold water. After juices are boiling, slowly add corn starch a little at a time until you have a gravy the thickness you like. I sometimes add a little fresh cracked pepper to the juice while I'm making the gravy.

Method #2: Instead of a crock pot, use one of the disposable foil pans you get at supermarket. Cover with aluminum foil tightly and prick about five holes in foil with a toothpick. Cook in oven at 185F to 200F for about 10 hours. Then proceed as in method #1 for drying, gravy, etc.

Serve with baked potato (gravy is wonderful on it also) and green peas or other veggi of your choice.

Excess can be placed in freezer bags with gravy and will keep well frozen for at least six months.

Best wishes, and if you try it, let me know how you like it.

MKL

P.S. If using venison, I usually rub the meat with olive oil before I put on the rub since there is very little natural fat. May also have to add a little water to get enough gravy.

Coffeypot said...

Take the venison to the nearest WH. They will cook it on shares. The house just needs a little fixing up. HUD will help.

Brigid said...

I will email you a couple recipes, here in a bit.

Happy New Year my friend!

agirlandhergun said...

No recipes, but beautiful pics!

MSgt B said...

Jess - I've never had much luck pan-frying venison. Always comes out too tough.

Old NFO - Makes me feel like we've lost a little something when I see stuff like that. Progress is progress.

MKL - Thanks. I sent it along.

Coffey - You're shitting me. Waffle House cooks venison?

Brigid - Thanks! You haven't steered me wrong yet.

A Girl - Thanks. (And now I'm coming down with whatever bug got Mrs B, yuck.)

Coffeypot said...

If you are a regular and you know the cook and waitresses and there is no crowed, you can talk them into it. But you had better have enough for everybody.

MSgt B said...

I wonder if they even have Waffle House in North Dakota? I'll have to check.