Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday morning sleep-in #29

I'd like to apologize to all my blog buddies for not being a very good neighbor. I finally had a chance to sit down and wander around some of my favorite blogs this weekend, and it felt a bit like I had wandered away from an interesting dinner party for a couple hours, then returned and found all the conversations had changed.

I don't know where to jump back into it, so I think I'll just continue to wander around the room spouting random facts and ideas at the top of my lungs until someone tells me to lay off the Jack Daniels.

It's what I usually do at dinner parties anyway.


Okay. It's what I would do if I ever actually attended a dinner party.


Let's be honest.
I've heard the term "dinner party" thrown around on TV and Internet. I imagine it's a bunch of people who get together to eat food and have discussions about shit.
Do they sit around the dining table to have these interesting discussions? Or do they eat first, then go in some other room to have interesting discussions?
If it's the latter, does this actually fit the description of a dinner party? Wouldn't that be more like "Dinner and a Party"?
If that's the case, would it be socially acceptable for me to skip the dinner part and just show up later with a bottle of booze?
Can you still have a dinner party if you've turned your dining room into an office and everyone has to eat standing up in the kitchen?

I'll probably never know the answers to these questions.
I will not rule out the fact that someday I may meet someone who would extend an invitation to a "dinner party", but I'm not holding my breath.

On second thought, knowing what I know about most of the people I internetically hang out with, would going to dinner at their house even be a good idea?
How much of the conversation part of the dinner would be deniable in a courtroom?

--------------------------------------
Yeah, I made up "internetically". I like it.

Here's some suggestions for it's use...

"I have an internetically large phallus."

"She became internetically famous with the establishment of a meme involving a gallon bucket of bacon grease."

"That works internetically, but can you employ it in a real-life situation?"

--------------------------------------
Where did this blog post actually start?

Oh yeah...me apologizing for wandering away from the dinner party.
I still churn out a daily post (mostly garbage) but I miss having the time to wander around (internetically) and visit and comment on everyone else's blogs.

The guy I replaced when I took this promotion at work quit back in October, but it has become apparent to me that he actually stopped working some six months before that.

--------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
Mystic Mud Paracord Bracelet Giveaway

Why? Because East Tennessee homesteaders, that's why.

The blog is a good one. Go read it, after you hit the link above and put your name on the list for a paracord bracelet.

----------------------------------------


11 comments:

Coffeypot said...

I've never been to a dinner party either. At first I thought it was because my invitation got lost in the mail, but then I started hearing words like intelligent conversation, stimulating talks, and wine. So I just hang at the Waffle House and talk to real people over some good coffee.

Brigid said...

I remember my first formal dinner party after I bought my last house.

We gathered in the family room which was off the kitchen. Tam was taking apart a very old Swiss Rifle to check something out. Shooty Buddy was on the sofa, looking at pictures I took on a "trip" to Africa exclaiming "wow, you shot a Babboon", Turk was holding court with Barkley on why he should NOT eat half a pound of Bacon and Roberta X was in the armchair saving the world with a small cocktail glass and some tools. I was in the kitchen wrestling the giant lasagna while everyone else waited in the safety of the jeep. Then we ate. A lot. There was little discussion. There WAS beer. That my friend, is a dinner party.

Christina LMT said...

What Brigid said. Dinner party=Blogmeet. :)

Old NFO said...

+1 on Brigid... And Phelgmmy, and Blogorado, and...

And I, since I was an occifer, have actually BEEN to a 'real' dinner party... We ended up in the kitchen and out by the grill shooting the bull and drinking until dinner was served, then back to the kitchen/patio until we were run off by the MPs... LOL

Jess said...

A dinner party is a back yard barbeque with mashed goose livers, no back yard, no potato salad and people that don't have a clue on how to unfold a lawn chair.

I suppose they're fun, but I doubt there's much fun with a broom stick shoved up your ass.

agirlandhergun said...

Yep! Exactly what Brigid said.

Every dinner party we ever had mostly revolved around the kitchen center island, lots of laughs, food and drink. It's really just a fancy phrase for...Please friends of mine most of whom I don't see enough, Come spend some time with me.

It quicker to just say dinner party.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

The last dinner party I helped throw was at Oleg's. Between photographers, makeup artists, models that are inbetween tours in the sandbox and models that look like very curvy waifs and never saw a real gun before their photo shoot, clients, vets, vendors, reenactors, geeks, bloggers, assorted spouses, second-amendment activists, the occasional redneck and the assorted expats who fit in multiple prior categories... and, of course, Gremlin making sure everyone pays tribute in food or attention, they can be a lot of fun.

Like any other group activity, if awesome group, activity is awesome. If boring group, gnaw arm off to escape.

MSgt B said...

Thanks for dropping by everyone.

Late for work!

LC Aggie Sith said...

Epic post :D

MSgt B said...

Thanks, Aggie.

soccerspecialty said...

bloggers, assorted spouses, second-amendment activists, the occasional redneck and the assorted expats who fit in multiple prior categories...

Thank you...........

Custom Youth Soccer Uniform
Custom Made Soccer Uniform