Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Road Pics #1

Found out in the west end of Maryland, not far from the West Virginia border.

Glass power line insulators.




It was an old (very old) run of power poles that started nowhere and ran about one mile and ended nowhere. They obviously don't carry electricity anymore. From the sheer number of insulators on each pole I'd say they were probably telephone or telegraph wires. I've been driving this road pretty regularly for the past couple months, but the old poles didn't appear until the trees and vines began to lose their leaves. In the spring, they'll disappear again.

When I got home last night, I started a little research, trying to find out the last time anyone used glass insulators.

I found a whole subculture of people who collect these things. Go check out this website HERE. Especially their photo gallery.

I thought I could run it down and get an idea when these poles were put up. I gave up after an hour or so. I had no idea...

Seriously...these people have forums and everything. They discuss all the different types of glass insulators, who made them and when, and where they were used and what for. (Such as power lines, electric fences, telegraph lines...the list goes on forever.)

All I had to do was substitute the word "gun" every time I read "insulator" and it sounded like an evening with Tamara Keel.

Mind:  Blown

--------------------------------------------------------------

9 comments:

Jess said...

The insulators have some market value to collectors, but only the really rare insulators have a lot of value.

I may still have splinters from where we climbed abandoned telegraph poles for the insulators. As kids, such foolish adventures were important and necessary.

agirlandhergun said...

So interesting.

I love tid bits of info like this.

Old NFO said...

Interesting, and just proves people WILL collect damn near anything!

russell.j.coller.jr said...

Shank: it's like you are Indiana Jones on the Last Crusade in Garrett County, MD. How we do all envy someone with an exciting job.

Coffeypot said...

It amazes me the things people will collect...and why. My ADHD won't let me collect stuff because I can't hold an interest that long.

BadgerMedic said...

I remember walking the train tracks as a child in my Grandmother's little farm town in Iowa; I found a few half-buried in the railbed. My father has a lot of them - he grew up in the same small town and now uses them for doorstops throughout his house.

MSgt B said...

Jess - I was SO tempted to climb one of the poles and grab one for my desk. Just thinking of the accident report changed my mind. I was on company time.

A Girl - Thanks

Old NFO - Too true

Russell - Good guess on the county. You win a cookie.

Coffey - ADHD I never would have guessed. LOL

Badgermedic - You never see them around anymore.

Coffeypot said...

I was also thinking that cat sure has a big cock.

MSgt B said...

*groan*

Jeezus Coffey. That was awful.