Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

11th Month 11th Day 11th Hour





In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,



That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly


Scarce heard amid the guns below.



We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,


Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.


If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


6 comments:

Granny said...

A memory long dead was brought back to me yesterday as I made my weekly tour of the grocery stores. A vet stood outside Win Dixie selling little red poppies. One of my cherished memories as a young girl in Ripley, WV was Decoration Day (Memorial Day) and Veterans Day. There would be Veterans from WWI and WWII selling little red paper poppies on the street in front of the hardware and the creamery. Dad would buy (then the donation was a nickle or a dime) my brother and me a red poppy. When we got home my Mom would recite the poem by John McCrae "IN FLANDERS FIELDS". She would remind us that on "Armistice Day" (she did not call it Veterans Day for many years) commemorated the signing of the "Armistice" ending WWI between the Allies and Germany on the eleventh month and the eleventh day of the eleventh hour of 1918. My brother and I would proudly wear those poppies wired into a button hole for days. I bought a poppy for each of my grandsons
yesterday. I probably won't give them the poppies but the important thing is that at least my part of the tradition will be carried on.

Larry said...

Happy Vets Day zoomie.

ProudHillbilly said...

Thank you for your service and for this post. I'm not normally one for poetry but this is one of my favorites. Our ancestors have have tossed the torch to us - dare we break faith?

Old NFO said...

Well done Sir! WELL DONE!

MSgt B said...

Granny - Great story. Thanks for dropping in.

Larry - You too, Squidly.

Hillbilly - We shall not sleep

Old NFO - Thank you sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

RabidAlien said...

Dang. I just copied the poem and posted text-only on my blog. Love the photos!

Granny, I remember seeing vets at WalMart selling poppies many years back, whilst I was still single. I haven't seen them out and about since then, though. So I hit a local craft store, found one of those fake flowers that looked vaguely poppy-ish, and some magnets. For the past two years, I think I'm the only one I've seen wearing one here in Texas, although I do get asked about it occasionally.