Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Morning Coffee #22

Old NFO found a world-wide version of the map.

and it says I've only covered about 16%.

Truth be told, it's not even close to that. Canada and Australia cover a healthy bit of ground, but I've only ever visited one or two spots in either.

and Alaska? It's just shaded in because it's part of the USA. I really have very little desire to lose toes to frostbite, or spend a month in darkness in the winter. It's just not my thing.



visited 37 states (16.4%)

----------------------------------------------------
Looking at the world map got me thinking. (Ut-oh)

When I retired from the Air Force in 2009, the housing and jobs disaster was just gathering a full head of steam. It was a tough time to go looking for employment.
Truth is, I settled for this job and this area. It was the best offer I had on my plate. I was really hoping to get out into the midwest somewhere. Specifically down south in the Colorado-Utah-Arizona-New Mexico-Texas region.
Although I am a native of Virginia, I joined the Air Force many moons ago to leave here and see the world. I never planned to actually return to my home state, and eight years in Okinawa ruined me for life. I will never again enjoy cold weather, my blood has become too thin.

Don't get me wrong. I'll always love Virginia, and I'm very happy with what I do now and the company that I work for.
This Fall marks three years with that company, and I'm going to start looking for other opportunities with them somewhere a little warmer. I miss my palm trees.

Wish me luck. (or not)

---------------------------------------------------
The most meaningless online quiz I've ever taken.

It says I'm a Cheerios person. Wrong!

Mrs B - Special K (the one with little bits of chocolate, go figure)

Miss B - Kashi Go Lean (twigs and bark)

MSgt B - Corn Pops (Any similarity to actual corn, living or dead, is purely coincidental.)

-----------------------------------------------------
Innapropriate humor in 3...2...





It's been a helluva week, and I've made some special plans for tonight.
(To all my blog buddies, this means the drunk-dialing will be starting early this evening.)

10 comments:

Broken Andy said...

Ah, the drunk dialing. Again!

I hope you find some place nice, but we'll miss you up here in NoVA.

MSgt B said...

You haven't got rid of me yet, Andy.

It's just time to start looking.

Momcat said...

Luck...at finding a warmer place. Ive also landed in a colder place than Im used to and its like living in a freezer. Thanks for the welcome back over at my place. :)

Old NFO said...

2 more years... And I'm outta here... and phone will be on, if you need bail money :-)

agirlandhergun said...

Ya know, I am waiting to get an invite to one of these drunkfests and Va will totally suck without you.

Of course, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Coffeypot said...

The test say I'm Fruit Loops...can you imagine? Oh! What clouds?

MSgt B said...

Momcat - It really is good to see you back on the intertubes again. I thought you had wandered off into the jungle.

Old NFO - Thanks for the bail offer. We just stayed home and watched Alien B movies.

A Girl - but I don't want to have to whip your ass if I catch you drinking a wine cooler.

Coffey - You? A Fruit Loop? Never...

Brigid said...

I'm Cheerios? I was expecting at least Captain Crunch or something.

Those clouds all look like sweater kittens to me.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

I'm... granola?
Cool, I have enough protective camouflage to go hunting over ideological bait.

Having moved further south than glaciers have lately, I'm torn between agreeing with you on the awesomeness of lack o' winter and wondering at how crazy you'd have to be to survive summer even further south. On the other hand, somewhere on the water with a sea breeze to keep down the bugs and feel cool, or with much lower humidity - I could see that. Maybe my problem was I didn't go far enough south?

MSgt B said...

Brigid - I got cheerios too. Here on the right coast, we call them sweater muffins. If we have to use an animal reference, it's puppies with pink noses.

Whimsical Wing - Ideological bait, I love that! Warmer is better. I don't mean to bad-mouth Alaska, but frostbite is not my thing.