Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet.

Life is Hard. Wear a Helmet

Virginia State Constitution: Article 1; Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Alabama State Constitution: Article 1: Section 26
That every Citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the State.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Museum of the Confederacy

Let's get one thing straight right up front. There is no easy way to get to Appomatox, Virginia.
The modern world has passed that place by. The closest highway is at least 30-40 minutes away.
It makes it a beautiful place to visit, with Cumberland State Forest just down the road from the Appomattox battlefield park.

What I thought was going to be an hour and a half drive turned into two and a half hours from our home...then we hit the thunderstorms on the way back.

I would suggest the Route 95 North/South should be widened to twice it's current size, but really, would it do any good?


We even got protesters out front. Protesting what? That we lost?
(Dood. I'm a Virginia boy myself. I feel as bad about it as anyone...but it was 150 fucking years ago. Get over it.)


Ah....I'm beginning to get it...
(Yeah, that's me in the reflection. It was a nice warm day, but I kept the windbreaker on and sweated the whole time. There were congresscritters and the like around for the Grand Opening ceremonies, and the State Troopers were pretty thick for most of the day)


That's what the trip was for, right there.
I had to go down and see for myself that she had come home to Virginia to stay.
(She was presented to The General by a Marylander when we invaded in 1863...not all states were Union by choice...that's another story)

8 comments:

Paxford said...

Ah! another place to add to my "one day I will visit" list (when I finally make it across the pond).

I recently got my hands on the dvd set of "The Civil War - A Film By Ken Burns" and am finding it equally parts amazing and horrifying (so many deaths)

Pax
[History Junkie- all sorts]

Old NFO said...

Gee, how did I know you were going to put THAT picture up :-) I did the pistols...LOL Great to meet y'all, and 95 is NOT salvageable... sigh

Coffeypot said...

Haven't made it to Appomattox yet. Been to most of the major battle sites in VA and PA from Bull Run to Gettysburg. Appomattox is soon to be invaded by the Coffey clan soon.

Broken Andy said...

I guess you'll be switching to your warm weather carry setup now.

Bushwack said...

What were the protesters protesting? See a lot of confederate flags... I don't see them protesting the war of northern aggression... WTF?

MSgt B said...

Pax - That Ken Burns series is one of the best.

OldNFO - Thanks for putting up with that long drive and coming along, it made our day.

Coffey - Make sure you let us know when...

Andy - You mean my "Sweaty stainless steel revolver" setup

Bushwack - I never did quite figure out what they were protesting. Maybe just "yankees suck"

CTone said...

That sure is a purdy piece of steel. . . .wonder if Lee ever put it to use?

And as far as widening I95, why is it that there's enough ground in between directions to put in 6-8 more lanes, and it isn't done yet? From DC on down to about Manassas, some genius thought it would be swell to squander that ground by making it a private highway for only 1/5th of those on the road. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

MSgt B said...

I believe he carried it around in his baggage, thinking it was too nice to actually wear in battle.